Phytoremediation method for cleaning of the contaminated areas
Phytoremediation is a new, customer-friendly cost technology. Application of this technology involves usage of unique characteristics of the plant to collect pollutants, promote their degradation or transformation. Due to this technology soil can be cleansed from many pollutants which are hazardous to the environment and human, e. g. petroleum products, heavy metals, phenols, pesticides, etc.
The advantages of phytoremediation:
• no soil unearthing and transportation (which are the main problems in built-up areas);
• no construction of special sites;
• low labour, machinery and energy consumption costs;
• the structure of soil remains undisrupted;
• no need to solve problems considering unearthed and restored soil.
Phytoremediation method is environmentally friendly, causing no landscape deformation, does not change natural physical, chemical and biological properties of the soil, no additional measures that may have a negative impact on the environment are taken. Using plants chlorinated hydrocarbons, petroleum products, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, heavy metals, phenols, cyanides, aromatic hydrocarbons and other pollutants can be cleansed.